Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Former Prosecutor's Random Thoughts on Ferguson


http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/18/1322315/-A-Former-Prosecutor-s-Random-Thoughts-on-Ferguson?detail=email


I served as a deputy district attorney for a district of seven rural Colorado counties, from 1983 to 1986.  
One of the first things I learned was how to tell the "good cops" from the "bad cops".  Police who regularly included a resisting arrest citation with virtually every arrest were invariably a "bad cop."  Any officer can encounter a suspect who physically resists arrest, but habitual resisting arrest situations are a sign that the officer is provoking the suspect.  Or even worse, that the officer really enjoys taking a few whacks at the suspect.  Policemen didn't leave their dispositions on patrol either - good cops were friendly to me and did all they could to help me. Bad cops were nasty to me.
I would be curious to know if the officer who killed Michael Brown had a history of habitually issuing resisting arrest citations.

I either read or posted an article that said that before new chief took over that cops made their own reports as the wanted and were not recorded or filed if they were to extreme, so finding history of malfeasance is virtually impossible,  you don't document or archive if you have something to hide.