Sunday, October 20, 2013

My son is not the poster child for the Right to Life movement

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/20/my_son_is_not_the_poster_child_for_the_right_to_life_movement/

Article PhotoI’ve been writing about my son Ronan, who died of Tay-Sachs disease in February 2013, since the day of his diagnosis. This has included a discussion of parenting strategies that must accommodate a child’s inevitable death. These have recently been determined by one writer speaking on behalf of the Right to Life organization as “inspirational.”
Although the writer qualifies the use of this sentimentally descriptive word, he goes on to explain that although he has no special-needs children of his own, he has much to say about how other people with terminally ill children should parent. I have an equally sentimental word for that which I will mention here without qualification: gross.
What he fails to mention at the beginning of this reprinted article, which itself was a response to an op-ed piece I wrote in 2011 that appeared in The New York TimesNotes from a Dragon Mom,” is that my son is now dead.
adding plagiarism to the republican list of crimes is like adding sugar to your cereal.  once again leaping before looking had he taken the time to realize if he read it or heard it someone else said it first and the fact that he researched enough to plagiarize shows a give damn attitude that seems to run rampant in the republican party they act with impunity and stupidity.
Although I’m sure the writer would extend sympathy for my loss, that he should reprint this article almost eight months to the day when my child died seems like an opportunity to clear up my thoughts about this issue.
I’ve been the poster child for the March of Dimes once in my life; I am not prepared to be so for the Right to Life movement. And I will not let the memory of the beloved child I will never see again be roped into this worldview as well.
it's repugnant for them to try to get fraudulent brownie points by using our tragedies as the stepping point to promote their own agenda, especially one as divisive as this.  never any shame in their game.