Friday, October 24, 2014

Updated: My local Walgreen's: NOT "at the corner of happy and healthy"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/21/1338257/-My-local-Walgreen-s-NOT-at-the-corner-of-happy-and-healthy?detail=email


Apparently the Walgreen's slogan, "At the corner of happy and healthy" doesn't apply to its employees.
When I stopped at my local Walgreen's today to buy a card, I noticed a large sign out front advertising that it's Senior Citizens Discount Day, so naturally lots of older people were shopping in the store. When I walked in, I was stopped by a pharmacist at a large display advertising immunizations, right at the front of the store, and he kindly offered to give me a flu shot if I hadn't had one yet. (I have.)
It sure gives the impression that Walgreen's is kind to senior citizens and concerned about health, doesn't it? Oh, but then you get to the checkout........
The cashier, a middle-aged woman who has worked at this Walgreen's for years, looked like hell. She was congested, coughing, barely able to croak out any words. When I asked what was going on, and why on earth she was at work in this condition, she told me she was also running a fever.
But, when she tried to call in sick, she said, her boss told her that if she wanted to remain employed, she better get to work. So she did, viruses and all.
Since she was the only cashier on duty, everyone in the store who bought anything, including the vulnerable senior citizens, had to visit her register and presumably get exposed to whatever illness she has. I felt so sorry for her, since she still had several hours left in her shift.
So apparently, "happy and healthy" is supposed to apply to customers (sometimes), not to Walgreen's employees who get sick and risk losing their jobs if they stay home. I was so furious that when I got home, I wrote to the Divisional Office of Walgreen's, with the cashier's permission, and told them this story.

it is a disgrace to America the way these big corporations who now thanx to scotus right wing are people too, they just don't have the characteristics of real people like empathy concern for those who patronize them, paying and granting sick leave rather than infect the entire consumer count that day. why didn't the Mgr or assistant come in and take the sick woman's place, someone needs to advise the customers if sick they can sue or class action suit for reckless abandonment leaving them exposed to who knows what.

that's just as bad or worse then Walmart asking employee's and customers to kick in for the employee's they refuse to pay a fair wage.  preview of what it will be like if we hand over the keys remember the republicans are on the side of big business not you and vise versa.  level playing field thing of the past when they have so much of gov't, business on their side makes the earth tilt, we can level it again by turning out Nov. 4th we out weigh the suppressing opposers. recognize